Return to English Spanish Link web site...

Autor Tema: Reading and writing in English for bilinguals - revisited  (Leído 1098 veces)

Desconectado Mike

• Administrator
    • Ver Perfil
Reading and writing in English for bilinguals - revisited
« en: Octubre 10, 2016, 10:38:11 am »
I have written a report article on my daughter, Carmen and English reading skills. The article is meant to serve as advice for parents from my own impressions and also discusses what I see as pitfalls to instruction in learning to read in many traditional Spanish schools. I hope to hear your comments and feedback.
http://www.englishspanishlink.com/en/bilingual-children/reading-in-english.htm

Mike

Desconectado mibebebilingue

• Ver Perfil
Re:Reading and writing in English for bilinguals - revisited
« Respuesta #1 en: Octubre 11, 2016, 12:34:33 pm »
Superinteresting your article Mike, thanks for sharing your experience.

I can notice that my daughter is more interested now in reading than she was before. She is 6 and a half.

In  my book "Baby English" there is a complete chapter about reading in English in which I explain games for reading, that I used with Diana, ( and still do)
 When I started using phonics with Diana, she was 4, and we just used, flashcards, pictures, because back then she was not that ready for reading a book. But she really loved ( and still does) her bedtime story, ( I love it too) Is still early days, and I am not using any specific phonic method, i guess with time it gets trickier ?

Now that she is learning to read in Spanish at school, she wants to read some of the books I read her everynight. I see that not putting any pressure on  her is the best policy, She wants to do it now, because maybe she feels more confident, and she is doing fine so far.

Diana can recognize some tricky words as He, She, to, Into, what...( I call them tricky words, maybe they are the sight words you mention in your post?)
And she is doing it thanks to repetition, because they are in almost every story we read :)

Thanks again for your article

Diana.

Desconectado Raquel

• Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #2 en: Octubre 11, 2016, 03:33:32 pm »
Thanks for sharing that, Mike. I, always trying to plan way too ahead of time -I can't help it-, gave reading and writing a lot of thought not long ago. I read some parents started teaching them how to read in English before they learned at school in Spanish and it worked well for them. But it also seemed a huge task for me to take during just one summer when my daughter would only be 4.

In the end I decided it made more sense -to me- to just wait and let her learn at the same time she's learning it at school. I learned how to read in English at school, by learning every word, so I don't see the need for my daughter to learn it any other way. When she's old enough, she'll be able to extrapolate the reading rules to words she's not familiar with, even if no one ever taught her these rules. But, as always, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

It's always nice to see how all of you are doing these things we'll all have to do, eventually, and seeing what's working for you and what isn't. You tried quite a few things, so what you wrote isn't only useful to know what to do, but also to see what not to do. Thanks for sharing it!!

Desconectado Mike

• Administrator
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #3 en: Octubre 12, 2016, 08:46:22 pm »
Mibebebilingue - veo que estas pasando por una fase parecida a la nuestra en que tu hija está demostrando su propio interés en la lectura. Ahora puede ser el momento de complacerla y dejarla leer un poco. Las lecturas antes de acostarse son muy útiles sobre todo si puedes dejar que tu hija vea el texto. Nosotros nos tumbamos los dos en la cama boca arriba con el libro encima y así ella ve todo.

Yes, Raquel. It has been a case of trial and error. I wonder if your friends who taught their children to read English at a very early age gave a very lengthy and intensive course. I think that's the only way at that age. But, of course, why spend so much time and effort when it can be done much easier and faster when they're older. We can spend that time doing something else instead and everybody is happier.

Quite frankly, Raquel, there still remains a little bit of a mystery in all this. You say:
she'll be able to extrapolate the reading rules to words she's not familiar with, even if no one ever taught her these rules
. Indeed my daughter is reading words and I'm not sure how she learnt them. Not only that, and this is something I didn't mention in the article, she reads words correctly she doesn't know the meaning of. The Cat in the Hat contains some words she has never seen before yet she will be familiar with the phonetics as they share similar phoneme patterns as other words in the book:

"I will show to you now.
You will like these two things,
said the cat with a bow."

After reading this perfectly, then she asked "what is bow?" OK, you say, it rhymes with "now" but I don't get the impression she is really aware of the rhyme when she analyses a word. If the word was "go" she would say "go" not "gow". I believe, as you said, she is implicitly recognising phoneme patterns and applying them to unknown words. As this book is cleverly structured and avoids exceptions eg. "mow" "flow" etc., Carmen doesn't run into problems applying her own rules yet. But they are her own rules - I never taught that. Again, such metalinguistic intelligence is way out of reach of three and four year olds, which means they would need a disproportionate amount of extra instruction to equal what a seven year old does almost automatically.

Thanks for your comments, ladies!

Mike

Desconectado mibebebilingue

• Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #4 en: Octubre 19, 2016, 09:55:33 am »
And thanks to you for your thoughts, ideas Mike. Raquel you are right, we are learning from each other, and that´s why having this forum is great for everyone interested in languages, and looking for the most enjoyable way to learn together with our children. :)

Desconectado Mike

• Administrator
    • Ver Perfil
« Respuesta #5 en: Octubre 23, 2016, 10:45:37 am »
Learning to read in English at 7 in going from success to success with my daughter. We are now reading Milly-Molly-Mandy a book for older children (about 10). Carmen reads two or three sentences from the book herself making good guesses at words phonetaclly she doesn't even know. The word "knitting" for example she pronounced correctly (she did know this word, it's true,) but I was surprised at the ease she got the word right. I actually asked her how she knew, and she said that in the word "know" you don't pronounce the "k" so she thought it would be the same for "knitting".

Again, this is not just about my daughter, it's about children learning to read English (as a L1b) at 7 and the relative ease this process takes place.

Mike  :)

Return to English Spanish Link help pages...