Return to English Spanish Link web site...

Autor Tema: Método OPOL - Artículo al respecto  (Leído 464 veces)

Desconectado Raquel

• Ver Perfil
Método OPOL - Artículo al respecto
« en: Junio 09, 2017, 11:44:31 am »
Acabo de leer un artículo sobre el método OPOL que me ha sorprendido bastante, y quería compartirlo con vosotros y preguntaros qué pensáis al respecto: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/life-bilingual/201504/one-person-one-language-and-bilingual-children

Desconectado Mike

• Administrator
    • Ver Perfil
Re:Método OPOL - Artículo al respecto
« Respuesta #1 en: Junio 13, 2017, 12:19:15 pm »
Hi, Raquel

Sorry a bit late on this.

I'm wondering why you are surprised. It seems the OPOL is not a greatly researched approach. More than that, I imagine it's just a logical one for many parents where two languages are known and both have a certain importance. Probably, there will never be a definitive answer on whether OPOL is the best approach just as research into contrasting explicit grammar-based teaching and communicative methodologies in language classrooms has not produced convincing conclusions as to which is the better of the two (and that fact might surprise many people). We learn languages from own resources we each possess. Despite receiving input which is non-communicative, many learners are able to convert that into practical and communicative output. The same may apply to bilingual learning environments. We may find it difficult to identify an ideal way for our children to learn if we base it on statistical research findings because our own particular child may have different, more or less developed own resources than another child.

Mike (Father of 7-year-old)

Desconectado Raquel

• Ver Perfil
Re:Método OPOL - Artículo al respecto
« Respuesta #2 en: Junio 14, 2017, 10:33:09 am »
What surprised me about it is that they're advocating for both parents speak both languages instead of one parent sticking with one language at all times. This is the first paragraph referring to it ("the approach" being the OPOL method):

"The success rate of the approach has been studied, most notably by researcher Annick De Houwer who reports in her study of 2,000 families that a full quarter of the children brought up with the approach did not become bilingual (see here). When both parents spoke both languages to their children—something Grammont insisted they not do—the percentage of children who ended up bilingual was not significantly different!"

It seems the OPOL is not a greatly researched approach.
Do you think they're wrong in their conclusions? Is this what you mean?

More than that, I imagine it's just a logical one for many parents where two languages are known and both have a certain importance.
Definitely!

Probably, there will never be a definitive answer on whether OPOL is the best approach just as research into contrasting explicit grammar-based teaching and communicative methodologies in language classrooms has not produced convincing conclusions as to which is the better of the two (and that fact might surprise many people).
Myself included!!

We learn languages from own resources we each possess. Despite receiving input which is non-communicative, many learners are able to convert that into practical and communicative output. The same may apply to bilingual learning environments. We may find it difficult to identify an ideal way for our children to learn if we base it on statistical research findings because our own particular child may have different, more or less developed own resources than another child.
Good point. General statistics can't be applied to one individual, because of all the things that make each of us different, but they can be applied to children in general, wouldn't you agree? What I mean is, just because 75% of these children become bilingual, it doesn't mean mine will too, but it gives me an idea of how effective this method is. If given more information (this works better with children who are this or that way), then choosing the best approach would be easier, but odds of success are information too.

Return to English Spanish Link help pages...